Friday, May 1, 2009

2009 Longboard Classic

I've never been in a snowboard race before. I have also never been in any kind of race before...unless you count the Fun-Run in 5th grade. And if I remember correctly, I crossed the finish line just before the bus filled with the asthmatics and porcine children. The handicapped kids were already getting Kool-Aide. But I thought racing will surely be easier when gravity is on my side. Let that be a lesson to you, appreciated readers, a life lesson. That is--Adventure is biting off more than you can chew, its going somewhere you're not supposed to, and it is most definitely telling the cautious voice in your head to shut up or you'll start wailing upside yourself with a tire iron until you find the soft spot where it hides. Wear a helmet kids...

The adventure began on the sleepy, pre-dawn Kukusruf Strasse...

Longboard...classic.

A familiar sight to those who've been down this road before.

Technical difficulties solved and van loaded we headed across the heavily guarded German/Swiss border.

Our warm-up session was at Flims. A massive ski resort in Laax. The highest peak is 3018m and most of the slope across the Vorab Gletscher and the second tallest, La Siala (2810m) is a freeriders dream. The weather was warm and in the sun it was nearly too hot for full gear. There were very few people as well, which made the whole day just great. I'll let the pictures do the talking.


My German crew. L to R: Bernie, Tina, and Danny


The sideburns make me look faster when I'm standing still.





After a beer and a brat, it was time for a gear change. Upgrade from a 158cm to a 192cm (seen in the first picture). Add a helmet and some ridicules sunglasses from Italy in the 1970s, both are equally as important, even vital to the success of my semi/pro-am racing career.








I'm going so fast!


Way fast!

Oh, thank god that cow pasture was there to stop me.


Soul master Bernie complete with retro gear.

My consolation was that at least nobody saw me wipe out into the cowshit...oh wait, the bar is right there. After using snow to clean off my jacket and pants in front of everybody, I thought a beer might be what the doctor ordered. A beautiful day like this is a great confidence builder. I handled the longboard exceptionally well...I even snowboarded better on it than the shortboard. I was ready for tomorrow, or so I thought.


No comments:

zjohns2@clemson.edu